When I went out for dinner with my grandma and mom, we got on the topic of all the weird things me and my cousins used to do when we were little. I just decided that I would share a few!
1. Jump on my grandma’s water bed- No, this did not last long. The room has been remodeled after the mini flood we caused…
2. Try to sell absolutely everything- We had lemonade stands, kool-aid stands, candy stands, pet rock stands, even a water stand! We eventually started using sales tactics on the kids in the neighborhood by playing music and bringing out this fake parrot my grandma had. It was one of those that moved and talked and repeated what you said and we convinced everyone that it was real. That had everyone coming our way! We did donate all the money we raised.
3. Dancing and performing- Me and one of my cousins have both been Irish dancers since we were 5 so we’ve always been performers. When we started getting into music we would try to make up dance routines and perform them for our families. Unfortunately when you’re used to Irish dancing, any other type of dance doesn’t look or feel natural. We would also have tons of “concerts” in the basement where we would jam to Hannah Montana, The Jonas Brothers or Taylor Swift.
4. Chicken Worms– Yes, you read that right. Chicken worms. On the 8 hour car ride to Michigan my little brother and cousin were getting fussy so I decided to start a game. First to laugh loses. They played for about an hour and they eventually got really good and I was running out of ideas. We arrived at a bait shop to pick up some worms for when we go fishing. My cousin didn’t understand why we were stopping at a bait shop and I told her we were picking up dinner (I was joking of course!) She gave me another funny look and I decided this was a time to make them laugh. So I said that we were going to pick up some worm hot dogs, worm Mac and cheese, and chicken worms. Once I said chicken worms they lost it. They still talk about it to this day. 7 years later…
5. Watch America’s Next Top Model Marathons– This is pretty explanatory. We like ANTM.
6. Watch Cooking Shows– But we never made the food.We would write down all the instructions and ingredients, but we never made the food…
7. Chalk Paint– It all started with this crazy obsession with chalk. We would cover my grandma’s driveway in drawings of a city. We even brought my brother’s Hotwheels out sometimes to pretend that people were driving around the town. One day we just started grinding down the chalk and made piles of grinder up chalk which we called “chalk dust.” Looking back at it, it seems like a complete waste of chalk, but we would fill plastic bags with this stuff. Then one day we mixed it with water and poured in on the ground. When it dried, it made kind of a splatter paint effect. We became obsessed with this stuff. We literally made it 24/7. We put it in empty Gatorade bottles in a wagon that we carried around the neighborhood trying to sell. (What a surprise!) We ended up selling one to a girl that helped us make it for 5¢. This happened for years. My younger cousins still make it!
Yeah, I was a weird kid… These memories will stay with me forever though, and for that I am so grateful to have the weird, loving family that I do.
My grandma decided to try and make me feel less odd and shared with me one of her own stories from her childhood which I found hilarious. She’s the 5th child in her family and she heard that every 5th child is Chinese, so she thought that she was Chinese for the longest time. Of course, what was meant by that saying was that every 1 in 5 kids are Chinese.
Well hopefully at least some of this post was somewhat entertaining. I was afraid of the length! Thanks for reading, and do feel free to share some of your weird childhood memories!