Now before someone takes my title seriously, I do know why high school exists, and I do understand the significance and importance of it. However, I’ve been attending college for 2 weeks (
what?!?!) now, and I learned some things about high school that I never really thought about until now.
- Freedom- In college, you have a million times more freedom. Now obviously there are some exceptions for what I’m about to list off. Some things are just common sense. You can wear what you want, say what you want, do what you want. Your professors care, but only if you care. If you are going out to party every night and don’t make an effort in the class, they have no problem failing you. Sure, that’s a bit scary, but it really opens your eyes. When you get to this point in your life you have to realize that no one is going to baby you. As young adults, older adults are definitely available and willing to help you, but you can’t rely on them for everything. Make sure you have your priorities in check. It’s not a bad idea to start adapting good study habits in high school.
- Opinions- Everyone has their own opinions, but in high school they are carried out much differently. In high school, I always felt like other people were forcing their opinions and ideas on me. I’m always willing to listen and try to understand, but on some topics, no matter what someone says, my mind is set. Some topics though, I can definitely change my mind, and the nicer you are about informing me, the more open-minded I’ll be. Respectful discussion is always so nice. In high school I always felt like everyone was super judgmental and stereotyped people for having certain opinions and it was just really ugly. So far in college, I haven’t felt that way at all.
- Classes- Yeah, classes are harder and require lots more studying, but instead of having 7 hours of school a day, you have maybe 2-4 hours a day. This is FANTASTIC! But it also means you need to use your free time to do homework and study. You can’t just blow all of that off. I also get a lot of breaks in between my classes which are really nice to just refresh and recharge.
- Discounts- Student discounts. Need I say more?
- Clubs and Organizations- There’s honestly just so many ways to find people you enjoy to be around. Clubs, classes, your dorm, your major, or even work if you have a job.
- Fresh start- As for me, I attended the same school district for my whole life so a lot of people at my school I’d known for many, many years. It’s nice to be surrounded by new faces who don’t have an opinion on you or remember that embarrassing moment from 2nd grade.
Why is high school a thing when college is a thing!!??!?!?
Seriously though, I’m having so much fun here! I truly apologize for my lack of posts lately, I’ve honestly just been super busy. I try to read posts every chance I get, but it is difficult to keep up. I’ll try my best and I hope that’s enough!
Please remember that things get better.